9/24 Exit Slip
Today was a very interesting class to me because I've actually thought about doing something like the measurement part before. When I was volunteering to help teach Math 9, I assisted with a couple class about personal referents and measurements that had been a somewhat straightforward lecture class. I suggested to the teacher after that it might be more fun for students and stick in their mind better if she made a scavenger hunt bingo in the classroom. After today, I think it might be even better if it were to be a scavenger hunt outside, looking for items of a certain length/area/volume.
I also enjoyed the astronomy portion of the course— I have taken some undergraduate astronomy so I already knew about the angles, but calculating it just with our bodies was interesting. I'm wondering if it would be possible to "make" alien planets with different tilts + year lengths, visualize the sun via a light projection, have students plot out data of the sun's peak at various days and then decipher those details about the planet and figure out what their latitude was on that planet. It could be a fun mini project to make your own planet/decorate it and add details and then switch things around and tell students that they've been dropped on a random planet and need to figure out where they are. On the other hand, I'm not sure how closely I could tie that to the actual curriculum, so it would need to be workshopped to make sure it met guidelines.
Comments
Post a Comment