9/10 Exit Slip

The idea of Frank McCourt's philosophy that stuck out to me the most was the concept of being completely open to who you are with the students.  We've heard a lot in the past week about "teaching who you are" and it's a concept that I strongly believe in.  In my personal experience with TAing in college and volunteering in a high school, the students really enjoy getting to know you (the teacher) as a person.  I think being open with who you are making it so much simpler to build relationships with students which in turn makes it easier to help them.  Part of this philosophy has to come from the fact that I am nonbinary and use pronouns that generally have to be introduced and explained— I can't not be open about my identity or else I won't be referred to correctly.

It was brought up briefly in class that it can be scary to be open with who we are because we might influence our students in some way.  I agree it can be scary, but I would argue that this is part of becoming a teacher.  To me, part of the reason to work with students is beyond just the material; I want to model and encourage kindness, joy, hard work, and other things like that so that my students can have brighter futures full of happiness.  I don't just want to deliver a lesson, I want to see my students grow.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

9/17 Entrance Slip

9/24 Exit Slip