9/17 Exit Slip
Sit spots were introduced to me first through the CFE last spring and I did a lot of sitting and observing nature during that period, taking in my surroundings and slowing down to think. I think it can be incredibly valuable not just as a tool to incorporate the environment in our teaching— for example with observing what math students could find in nature, etc— but also as a method for helping students regulate themselves. School and life can often be so busy that we don't have time to take a moment to reset. I found that during our sit spot in class, not only was I engaged with drawing, I didn't look at my phone and I didn't realized how much time had passed until we were called back. I've had a teacher do a "mindful minute" at the start of class before and it gives a similar sort of reset period, something that I'd like to take into my own teaching.
We also discussed in our small group in class about Frank McCourt's thoughts of sharing ourselves honestly with our students and were conflicted over how much is too much, a fine line all teachers must walk. From that, my classmate brought up the concept of how to interact with former students which was rather interesting and we were quite unsure on the etiquette around that. I've heard of people who come back to have lunch with their teachers years after they graduate to update them on what they've done with their lives, which seems rewarding for both parties, but we also agreed that if it was too soon after graduation it was weird. It makes me wonder if there are guidelines on interacting with former students in the same way we have guidelines on expected behavior with current students or if that scenario is something that every teacher would individually decide on what they think is acceptable.
Comments
Post a Comment